Friday, April 15, 2011

reflection of 9th of April

From the vedio,the conversation between an Asian flight attendant and a western client in the first class seems to be casual and friendly. He asked her "You aren't a stranger, are you?" We considered she the oppressed even though Cathy Pacific is a carrier of Hong Kong we think her job is to provide almost all services to clients in the carrier. When people pay for certain service, they expect the service providers to be obedient no matter what situations there are.
From last week I as an oppressor started teaching about midterm exam for my students 2nd year in middle school. One student said our hagwon should have started preparing for exam earlier like before April since their exam is 25th of April. At that time I said it's true it's kind of late to prepare for exam at this moment "I'm sorry.". When I said this situation to my family, my dad said the student might think he's one who has paid money for it he deserves it. I think at that time my student was an oppressor. I have thought about it and talked with my co-worker, who said as a student the student should know the material of the exam and why hasn't the student prepared for the exam by himself since student's duty is studying and he has already studied the material at school? What I want in the classroom is to cooperate between teachers and students facing the same goals. But why do we alternately keep taking turn to be an oppressor?

2 Comments:

At April 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Blogger christy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Blogger christy said...

Sophia, I like your idea.."why don't we keep taking turns to be an oppressor?" Right, so one day Ss & Ts change the roles so that we can experience/understand better in the real situation : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home